Life Lately Through My iPhone

2 February 2016

Hi everyone!
I'm finally done interviews and thought I would share some images and stories from my adventures these past few months.  Needless to say, I'm glad it is over and I don't want to smell the inside of an airplane for a long time.... or wear a suit. But boy was it a fun experience, and I got to meet some amazing people. How is everyone doing this 2016? All your resolutions sticking or have they started to fall by the wayside?

In lovely Minneapolis - definitely a city I could see myself living in. The interviewers and residents there were some of the sweetest people ever.

I had done a research poster presentation in Denver (Oct) and got first place. Woohoo! My award plaque only arrived late November, but I always leave it out on my desk as motivation for when I'm feeling down or fatigued. R- Ramen at Wasabi in Chicago. I was finally able to squeeze in a night to see a good friend from med school between both of us interviewing. I just love catching up with people who are as excited and enthusiastic as I am. Haha!

Obligatory hotel shot (I have one from every interview save 2 on my cell. I had to send it to my mom so she could 1 - judge, 2- be finally relieved that I'm safe) I also snuck home for a weekend to see the family, and relax with my dad & I's favorite tradition: snacks and movies!

This was the view from my hotel window into the pool 'courtyard'. At first I loved it, then I got the earful of screaming children and loud splashes for 3 hours. No thank you.

At one point I caught a cold, and decided drowning myself in pho (with extra jalapeños) was the best remedy. By day 3 I was back in action!

Obligatory airplane shot. On the R is The Boy's Goat Almighty burger from The Little Goat Diner. I had friends from Toronto come to the city for a visit, and a big dinner was in order!

Macy's Christmas Windows!

This evening, The Boy and I went to Christkindlemarket as is our annual tradition. However, it was so warm out that the crowds at the market were suffocating and long. We decided to make our way to Eataly since we had yet to visit, and we heard the nutella bar was delish. On our walk, we caught sight of this gorgeous pastel pink old school car in front of a "fi-fi" hotel. Anywho, Eataly was awesome, Nutella bar was okay. I was more taken aback by the fresh meats and fish, and the international supply of canned tomatoes. Man I love tomatoes!!

This is how foggy it was that night. CRAZY!

And off I went again, this time to Cleveland. I got a hotel at the Hyatt Regency downtown, and they had by far one of the best mattresses ever.

There was a huge arcade inside.

And then I snuck off to grab some lunch. As I wandered around, starving, I came across Dave's Cosmic Subs and decided to check it out. Quite possibly one of the best subs I've ever eaten. What a freakin' treat!

After a few more interviews, I finally made my way home. I got to Toronto in the knick of time to catch my birthday (by 1/2 hour- I spent the whole day in airports on damn layovers). Then after break I was back in the air for my next set of interviews. Catching a plane with all the empty seats beside you = golden. I slept like a baby.

Then I made my way to Indiana and ended up meeting the best resident couple EVER. I think they were some of my favorite people during this interview trail. So happy!

A few flights later, I was in Newark. I got delayed 8 hours, and missed my connecting flight to Chicago. This was a crazy night. I ended up 31 hours behind security lines across 3 airports. Thank goodness I had a blanket scarf, and no checked baggage!

St Louis and Buffalo


My hair blending into the fur in my hood, making me look like a lion when I'm bearing the cold. A sweet look after leaving research. R - the excited pre-marriage photo! The Boy and I joined S&D for their city hall ceremony, and then filled ourselves to the top for brunch!

On the upper east side for one of my last interviews. I stayed at The Franklin, due to its proximity to the hospital, and I absolutely adored how quaint and elegant it was.

DONE!!! Now time for wine, and making the rank list.


  1. That's a lot of airports and airplanes! I don't think I would survive :(

    I can't wait to check out Eataly either in NYC or Chicago. I love Italian tomatoes ;)

    1. Ya it was crazy. I'm so glad it's over for now! Tomatoes are my holy grail food item.

  2. Hi Chantelle! Congratulations on all your interviews, how very exciting! I am an incoming M1, and I was wondering if you could share some advice about getting involved in research during medical school. I have been out of school for a few years working in healthcare, so my research background is a little rusty. Nevertheless it's a great opportunity for learning more about the field and improving yourself as an applicant for residencies, but I find getting involved a little daunting. As always, I am incredibly inspired by your blog and unbelievably excited to finally be starting this journey as a student physician! It has been my dream for a long, long time. Thank you for your input.

    1. Hi Eliza, CONGRATSSSS! Welcome to the med school family! Thank you so much for the sweet words. My advice to you regarding research is as follows: e-mail as many people as possible while in M1/M2 year to see if you can join projects (ie/ labs, profs, departments in fields you're interested in), in M3 year when you're in clerkships always keep an eye out for residents doing research or case reports/ be proactive about writing up an interesting case. For M4 year there are also research electives you can sign up for (ie/ via VSAS). Typically do them some time in June-Sept so projects and submissions/pubs can show up on your application when you submit Sept 15. After that date nothing can be updated, and YOU WANT to submit your app on ERAS the day it opens! If anything gets updated afterwards, it will require you e-mailing every single program you applied to with that information, and it should only be a crazy amazing update (ie you just pub'd in NATURE as first author, etc). So right now, start sending out those e-mails to as many people as possible. 50-100 is not a crazy number before you get a positive response. Good luck, and keep me posted!

  3. Dear Chantelle,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will absolutely keep you posted. I have been a long follower of your blog and continue to be inspired by your journey. Wishing you all the best in the upcoming months and excited to hear about your journey as you transition into residency!


Thanks for stopping by. À plus mes belles!

Latest Instagrams

© Belle Chantelle. Design by FCD.